Thursday, September 25, 2008

Commercial

I was watching TV the other day when I saw a presidential campaign commercial. I pretty much tuned it out as soon as it came on. I think the only thing I get from these commercials is that I don’t want either candidate to be the next president. I don’t think that’s the purpose, but that’s what I come away with.

Well, after about a minute and a half of this particular commercial, I realized this one was a little different. He wasn’t attacking the other candidate; in fact, he didn’t mention the other candidate. I had to rewind it so I could listen to what he was saying.

This is a non partisan blog. I won’t take sides and I won’t even tell you what the sides are. But I will say this. It was rather refreshing to see a commercial from a candidate that is saying more that what a horrible person their opponent is.

I have to admit it seemed a little crazy, I mean, he was talking about the trouble with the economy, unemployment, the rising cost of everything and how to get America back on track. He also was saying that we should stop spending billions of dollars each month to build up other countries, and start rebuilding ours. And I think the craziest thing was when he started talking about our common interests as Americans.

Of course he’s going to say what people want to hear, but it’s a little refreshing to hear a candidate talk about something real. I don’t know if it’s the economy, world events or that I am just getting older, but I am more interested in this election than I have been in the past. I want to watch the debates and listen to what the candidates are saying about the “issues” impacting our lives.

My hope is that the primaries are no indication of what is in store for the upcoming election. It seemed that all I heard during those debates were personal and professional attacks on each other. If I wanted that, I would just schedule a debate in the living room between a couple of 8 year olds.

Is it possible that presidential candidates could have a civil debate and actually discuss the issues? I don’t know, maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

No comments: