Monday, September 22, 2008

Go Cubs Go

I grew up in the Chicagoland area, so naturally I am a Chicago sports fan. Since being transplanted into the Land of the Cheese I have come to realize that people around here don’t share the same team loyalties that I do. In fact, most of them have a general hatred for my Chicago teams. One of the individuals that is not particularly fond of my Chicago team is the father of my future step-children. Be sure to keep this little nugget of information in mind as it will come into play later in the story.

With the baseball season winding down, I am rather optimistic about my team’s chances. For those of you that have been brainwashed into thinking there are two teams in Chicago, let me be clear that although there is a team on the south side, the only real team in Chicago is on the north side, the Chicago Cubs.

It has become tradition in Chicago that whenever the Cubs win, they play the Steve Goodman song “Go Cubs Go.” I have to admit it is a rather catchy tune.




Even though I am living in Cheeseland, I try to catch the games whenever I can. And lucky for me, I can listen to WGN radio up here and hear the games on there. (For those of you that are within the radio signal range, I would strongly recommend listening as often as you can.)

Back to the Cubs, last week after work, I had turned on the radio to listen to the game on the ride home. Well, the Cubs ended up wining that game, and right after we picked up the kids that magical tune came on the radio.

I didn’t give it much thought at the time, but after dinner that night I was sitting at the table enjoying my ice cream bar when all of a sudden the kids broke out into song. They were singing “Go Cubs Go.” And they weren’t just repeating the words they heard on the radio. Nope, they were getting into it! Singing and dancing. Repeating lines after each other. It was pretty cool to hear.

Now, remember that little nugget of information I had you keep in mind. Well, right about the time the kids were really bringing it home, their Dad stopped by to pick up the dog. I don’t think “shock” can begin to describe the look on his face when he walked in and heard his little angles singing a song about the Chicago Cubs!

He looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders. I mean... what could I say? I didn't teach them the song, I didn't convince them to start singing it either. I just sat there and ate my ice cream. Is it my fault they have good taste?

Co Cubs!

No comments: